[nabs-l] Quick Question

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sat Apr 23 20:30:05 UTC 2011

Hi mark,
I got my Seeing Eye dog the year before I attended college, so that was
a bit different; I attended a college in an urban environment--a
college in Boston, as a matter of fact.
I know that most people would advise against getting your dog before
your freshman year, but I say go for it.
Here's why:
It might be easier for you to learn how to navigate your new
environment with a dog from the very beginning, as opposed to a cane. I
say that because I personally find it easier to use the T with a dog
versus a cane. I also find that it's easier to navigate boston traffic
(crossing streets and such) with a dog. It might be different for you,
but if TSE accepted you already, they most likely feel they have a good
match for you, and that match is not likely to be around a year from
July. You'll have a month to bond with the dog before college starts,
and while that's certainly not a year, you're still not going to campus
a few days after you gradduate with your dog. You'll have a chance to
establish a bit of a bond by then, and the prospect of the both of you
learning a new environment together as well as getting used to each
other doesn't have to be a daunting one.
It all depends on how responsible you are and how well you adjust to
change; And I'm assuming you are responsible enough, since TSE
determined so by accepting you.
Another factor to keep in mind no matter how minor it may be is, your
new friends in college will get used to you having a dog right away if
you train with him/her the summer before your freshman year. Right
away, you'll find out which people are accepting of being around a dog
and which people would rather not associate with a person who has one.
I know this might sound harsh or maybe even somewhat ignorant, but it's
realistic and no one else brought it up yet. Some people might want to
hang out with you when you're just Mark who uses a cane, but think
differently of it when you have a dog. Sufficed to say, those people
are probably not worth  your time  anyway, but it's better to find out
right away,and forge bonds with people who will make better friends.

All in all, as long as you don't let your dog go anywhere unsupervised
(that in my oppinion would be a big mistake especially in the middle of
a city), and you take some time every day to bond with your dog in your
dorm and practice obedience regularly, you should be fine. That's just
my rambling two cents, for what it's worth.

Anyway, I have worked a seeing eye dog in Boston for years now, so if
you have any questions or need some advice etc., you're more than
welcome to get in touch off list. Also, coincidentally, I'm scheduled
to go to TSE in July for my next dog as well, so if you do decide to
go, see you there.

Good luck!

Bernadetta