[nabs-l] Question about technology

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 04:44:32 UTC 2011

Mike,
  I'd respectfully disagree.  The last hardware update for the PAC
Mate happened...2-3 years ago, whereas the Apex came out within the
last year.  The Apex has bluetooth, wifi, much more internal memory
than the newest PAC Mate (I think it's like 4 gigs as opposed to 128
mb), a great deal more RAM, and support (at least in theory) for newer
microsoft word files.  The PAC Mate is at least a year behind simply
because the hardware hasn't been updated and freedom scientific
stopped updating it.  True, they've had some firmware updates since
the Apex came out...although I'm pretty wsure Freedom Scientific's
discontinued those as well.
  I, personally, think the PAC mate is just a little bit past its
time...and, as I said, I swore by the PAC mate for years.  While the
software and hardware of the machine are both sound, the Apex is
simply a newer unit and, as such, is a little bit ahead in the
technology department.  This does mean the Apex is quite a bit more
expensive- it runs around 5000 dollars whereas the PAC mate, for a
similar-sized braille display, runs at around 3800 or so.
  Respectfully,
Kirt