[nabs-l] a question about blind teachers

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 01:39:25 UTC 2011

Hi, Julie and list.

First of all, I'm a new member of the list, so let me introduce
myself.  My name is Chris and I'm a totally blind seventh grade
student (in public school) from Maryland.  I already joined a
couple NFB lists, and went back on to see if I could find any
others I was interested in, and found the NABS list.  I thought
it would be cool to connect with other blind students across the
country as well as adults, who share my belief in the Federation.
To answer Julie's question, I know a little about blind classroom
teachers.  I have a good friend who is a retired public school
Latin and French teacher at our local high school.  He's been
totally blind since birth, and everybody who has had him says
he's a great teacher, which I have no doubt in.  I'll email him
for you and see if I have permission to give you his email
address so you can ask him some questions.  I'm sure he'd be very
happy to help you! I also know of an NFB leader by the name of
Joanne Wilson who also is a retired teacher from Iowa.  She
originally had a lot of struggles becoming a teacher, beginning
with the dean of her college (Iowa State University) telling her
that she couldn't student teach because she was blind and not
many blind people had been allowed to student teach in Iowa.
However, she hooked up with NFB and was able to get a job with an
accepting superintendent in a school in the same town as the
university.  She showed that dean! * Smile! You can Google her if
you want.  I'll email the guy I know and if he gives me
permission, I'll send you an email off-list with his email.  Hope
this helps!

Chris Nusbaum