[nabs-l] Reasonable technology requests from Rehab and someother college questions

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 03:26:42 UTC 2011

Hi, guys.

Just a few thoughts on David's suggestions.  I agree with your
comment about the laptop vs the notetaker.  With the newer
versions of the notetakers like the Braille-Note Apex that I
have, you can do most anything that you could on a computer with
your notetaker as it's all computer technology now instead of PDA
technology.  However, if you're doing a Internet research project
or something, the more tools in your toolbox, the better.  I know
that some sites are accessible to screen readers but not to
notetakers, and vice versa.  So I would reccomend definitely
seeing if you can get both.  Now keep in mind, as I said before,
rehab probably isn't going to get all the technology you need for
you, but you never know.  You might need another funding source,
like a Lions club or another foundation like the I CAN Foundation
that I mentioned in the last email to you.  On the display vs
notetaker and Braille embosser topics, I would suggest a
notetaker over a Braille display for its portability and
convenience.  I would reccomend a Braille-Note Apex over the
Braille-Sense, based on what I've heard about the Braille-Sense.
However, one of the NFB executives was showing me a Braille
display called RefreshaBraille from APH, which he uses for his
iPod instead of VoiceOver.  It really doesn't matter, in my
opinion, whether you get a screen reader for your computer or a
Braille display.  It really serves the same purpose.  If you have
a screen reader, it's already reading the screen, so why would
you need a Braille display, and vice versa? On the Braille
embosser, it all comes down to individual preference.  I used to
love hardcopy Braille until I got the Apex.  Now my teachers
email homework or classwork to me and I detach it right onto my
Braille-Note.  I also email my teachers homework as attachments
to emails instead of printing them out and labeling them in
Braille, which saves a lot of time.  I also use the good old
thumb drive all the time in school.  What's awesome about that is
that in the middle of class, my teacher will say "Chris, I need
your thumb drive to put a paper on it for today." If he/she has
an electronic copy in their computer of the worksheet, they can
stick it on my thumb drive and I can import it into the
notetaker.  It's a life saver! But if you prefer hardcopy
Braille, it's a louder process and you'll use a lot more paper,
but it's whatever you prefer.  If you have any more questions,
let me and the list know.  Good luck!

Chris Nusbaum