[nabs-l] National Federation of the Blind Announces Agreement withTicketmaster

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:15:46 UTC 2011

Hi, all.

I just want to make a few comments.  I'm always very glad to know
that NFB has reached an agreement with a private company to make
that company's Web site accessible.  My only comment is that in
all these press releases, I've noticed that it has only talked
about making sites accessible to screen reading software, and
that's great! Screen readers are the most popular form of
Internet access for the blind, if I'm not mistaken.  But I don't
want NFB to overlook the fact that they also need to be
accessible to people using electronic notetakers for their
Internet access as well as those using screen readers.  I have
both available, so if a site isn't accessible to the BrailleNote,
I'll try JAWS.  But a friend of mine only uses his Braille-Note
for Internet access both at school and at home, and hasn't gotten
a laptop yet.  What about people like him? Also, it never ceases
to amaze me that the NFB has to go so far as a lawsuit to get
companies to make their Web sites accessible.  It sounds to me
like the CEO of Live Nation, in that case, was totally
cooperative with the NFB and would be glad to make their site
accessible.  But if the CEO was that cooperative, they wouldn't
have to take Live Nation to court.  The same with the law school
admission site that we were told about yesterday.  What do you
think of all this?

Chris Nusbaum