[nabs-l] braille displays

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 17:59:18 UTC 2011

Jewel, I also have a Focus 40 braille display and find it very useful
for reading web pages and such. However, I do find it a little tricky
to navigate MS Word documents and wonder if you have any tips.
Specifically, I can use the panning keys to read through a line of
text on the screen, but at the end of the line I have to pann back to
the beginning of the line and use the whiz wheel to move to the next
line. If I keep pressing the panning keys without using the whiz
wheel, the braille display will show some random information about
which page and section I'm on and stop advancing. Have you encountered
this problem? Is there any way to fix it or is this just how the
display works with MS Word?
Ashley, I believe a braille display would be most useful when you need
to read/edit long documents on the computer, so how much you will need
it depends on the nature of the job you find. For personal
reading/leisure books that you do not have to read on your PC, your
Braille Note probably can serve the same purpose as a braille display
connected to the computer.
   Katie