[nabs-l] braille displays

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Apr 30 02:46:48 UTC 2011

Hi, all.

Before making my comment, please know that I'm not speaking against Braille
nor am I contradicting what others have said about the usefulness of Braille
displays.  In fact, I own and happily use a Braille Sense Plus.  I also was
the primary author of Washington state's Braille Bill.  Please keep this in
mind when reading what follows.

Several people on this list have listed the virtues of computer Braille
displays.  I, however, don't use one and probably will not.  Perhaps I am
old-school but I am of the generation that learned to type using -- gasp --
a real typewriter (and a manual one at that!).  I far prefer speech access
to a computer because I don't have to take my hands off the computer
keyboard.  Hence, I can type faster and interact with the computer more
quickly than I could if I were constantly having to take my hands off the
QWERTY keyboard to read the Braille display.  Moreover, even though I use
and love the Braille Sense Plus with its Braille keyboard, I can type far
faster using the QWERTY keyboard on the computer than I can Braille using a
Braille keyboard.

As to detecting punctuation and the like, if one listens closely, one can
catch possible punctuation faux pas and typeos and spelling mistakes -- at
least I can.  Admittedly, exactly what's wrong requires one to review a bit
withs peech but I'm pretty fast at it, especially as I haven't taken my
hands off the keyboard.

As to dealing with foreign languages, I admit that Braille is helpful in the
beginning.  But, at least with respect to Spanish and German, the
orthography and pronunciation/spelling rules are sufficiently literal and
fixed that one gets quite good at listening to the languages and knowing how
words are spelled just from their pronunciation, just as one often can
(though obviously not always) in English.  By the time I took advanced
German courses, I had no Braille materials and had to use readers just as I
did in my regular courses conducted in English.  I had little trouble and
usually knew when to ask how a word was spelled.

Just wanted to let people know that even a Braille lover such as I prefer
speech to Braille for computer access.  And yes, I programmed using speech
for many years.  One gets used to the quirks of one's synthesizer and can
often tell what's on the page and what it looks like, especially with
Punctuation set to All.  I know other programmers (including Tracy Carcione)
who used speech for computer interaction as programmers for many years.

Peace!

Mike Freeman