[nabs-l] New Technology and Blindness

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 21:39:08 UTC 2011

Hi, Nicole.

That's exactly what the NFB is working on.  The law, or bill as
it is now, is called the Technology Bill of Rights for the Blind.
It mandates that all consumer technology, household appliances,
and office equipment be accessible to the blind through nonvisual
means.  Recently, I was at an NFB program called the Leadership
and Advocacy in Washington (LAW) Program.  We learned a lot about
the bill and went to Capitol Hill and talked to several
Congresspeople about the bill, trying to get them to cosponsor
it.  The Technology Bill of Rights hasn't been introduced in the
House in the new Congress session, since it became dead in
committee in the last Congress session.  Check out nfb.org for
more info!

Chris Nusbaum