[nabs-l] The Carroll Center for the Blind

Anjelina anjelinac26 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 22:32:06 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I first attended BISM's WINGS summer youth program in high school after
going totally blind. For me, the program provided me a glimpse into higher
expectations, independent blind adults and  the believe that blindness
didn't have to be a huge barrier. While not every program is going to get
all the various elements right during the first, second or third try, the
albeit sometimes slow tide of change is a testament to success.
WINGS was not perfect. What program whose aim is to teach about life is
going to not expose students to the bumps of life? We saw staff make
mistakes, misjudge travel routes, and express frustrations--for me they were
showing the true foibles of blindness.
Just my thoughts