[nabs-l] The Carroll Center for the Blind

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 02:04:15 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Liz, I think your points about use of remaining vision are very
reasonable. One thing I'm curious about is whether the efficient use
of remaining vision needs to be taught. Obviously nonvisual techniques
have to be taught initially, although some of them are ones we just
come up with on our own. But does one need to be taught how to utilize
residual vision or is doing so more automatic? Since I have very
little usable vision, I don't know the answer to this question and am
genuinely curious. I do know I automatically use my tiny bit of
residual light perception to avoid some obstacles and to stay lined up
when crossing the street, and no one taught me that. I do know this
method is not always reliable and I don't always detect obstacles or
curbs with my eyes if the lighting isn't right, which is why I'm glad
I know how to use my cane and sound to accomplish those tasks. But I'm
not sure there's anything else an instructor could teach me about how
to locate obstacles or curbs with my eyes because it kind of just
happens without my thinking about it. What do you think?
Arielle