[nabs-l] Update on Compress Video Class

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:12:54 UTC 2011

Hi, Joshua,
  Arielle made some really good points. Of course none of the students
in your class is obligated to give you a ride, which I suspect may be
what the disability office person meant in the first place, but it is
ultimately your responsibility to figure out a transportation
arrangement that works for you, and if someone is willing to carpool
with you/be your driver in exchange for gas money or whatnot, then it
seems like a perfectly reasonable solution to me. Also, I understand
that everyone's situation is different, but I don't think that it is
very typical for the disability office person to attend class with the
blind student. Is there any specific reason that you need her to be
there?
As for getting hold of the instructor, some professors are really bad
at responding to emails, so I wouldn't take it too personally. Perhaps
you can send him another follow-up email, politely reminding him that
you wrote a while ago and would really appreciate to hear from him?
Also, I don't know if this is possible with the compressed video
technology, but you might try asking the instructor during your first
class to speak with him briefly after the lecture to discuss your
needs. Do you expect to need a lot of accomoodations for this
particular class?
Hope this helps!
    Katie