[nabs-l] More Ideas Needed for my Research Project

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 16:49:59 UTC 2011

Hi, Arielle,
  As I have said before, this is a very interesting study! I can't
really think of a third task at the moment, but for the cane travel
task, I thought that an interesting alternative may be teaching
blindfolded participants how to navigate going up or down steps with a
ccane. As you must know from experience, there is a common
misconception that blind people can not use stairs safely and will
easily fall, so showing the participants that this can be effectively
done with the use of a cane may bring a more significant increase in
their appreciation of what blind people can learn through training.
The use of sound cues is also a good one, although the counting-door
technique seems a bit too intuitive to me.
Hope this helps!
     Katie