[nabs-l] Some questions for a friend

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 20:44:04 UTC 2011

Kerri,

I'm sorry your friend is experiencing problems.  College can be
frustrating enough without being compounded by outside concerns.

I agree with David; if it's truly a matter of skills holding your friend
back, it will be beneficial to seek out more training, but if the issues
stem from problems most college students face, it may not be a matter of
skills, but just learning the ropes along with everyone else.

If their computer, Braille and travel skills are good, the issues are
probably not skill-related.  If your friend is frustrated because they
can't access information due to the lack of these skills, or they are
having difficulty keeping up because of the lack of these skills, then I
would agree more training is necessary.  If the problems don't seem to
be skill-related though, it could be a matter of self-advocacy, or just
simply problems every other college student is dealing with especially
first-time college students.  Your friend will have to assess the
situation to discover where the issues really lie.

I had a similar experience where I attended a top training center for
the blind, but for one reason or another, I slipped through the cracks
and certain skills were not reinforced.  Once graduating from the
center, I was able to work with a close friend on these skills, and I
improved these skills.  I also worked on my own to learn and reinforce
the skills since I at least had a foundational knowledge.

If your friend believes they lack skills necessary to complete college
successfully, it will be worth it to pause school so they can attend a
training center again.  As I tell people, six to nine months is not much
for a lifetime of independence.

Since they already attended a center, their state rehab agency may not
shoulder the cost again, assuming this is how it was done the first
time.  There may be a couple of options: 1. Though the goal is to train
and not require it again, if one feels it is necessary, agencies will
work with clients.  You may be able to participate in classes that you
need and not an entire program.  For instance, just work on computer
skills, or Braille reading.  2. You may be able to work with a field
staff counselor.  They can come to your home and work on specific
training.  3. Participate in any summer intensive program offered by
most agencies.  You don't have to miss school, and you get a skill
refresher in the process.  4. Seek out groups, organizations and
individuals in your community who can provide help with refreshing you
on the skills.  I suggest you use a person who not only uses the skills
themselves, but who demonstrates a positive attitude towards the skills.
Again, I did this and ended up learning more than I did while in
training, though I was lucky and this person (my hubby) has worked for
state rehab agencies and taught the skills as well as using them
himself).

There are other options, but these are a few I can think of.  Your
friend really needs to start by speaking with a rehab counselor because
this will most likely be the channel they will go through.  If they do
not receive satisfactory answers, they can take new steps after, but
they need to speak with someone like this first.

Can I at least ask what state your friend lives in, or what state they
are in school in?  Knowing this, we may be able to suggest people or
groups who can help that live in that area.

As for Windows Live, I use Hotmail for my personal email, which is
Windows Live, and I'm a JAWS user, and I rarely encounter problems.  I'm
not sure how different a university-based Windows Live account is, but I
know Hotmail is accessible with JAWS.  I'm not tech or computer savvy so
this is all the advice I can offer on the topic.

Tell your friend good luck, and this list is always here for support and
advice.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at