[nabs-l] What we should and should not post, blah, blah, blah

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 28 22:17:19 UTC 2011

Hello,

I find it bothersome when suggestions are made to "ban" anyone from any
email list.  I've seen opinionated, strong and even aggressive posts on
these email lists, but I've never read anything that I believe is worthy
of banishment.

Personally I think it's important to consider those who may participate
in an online community.  We all come from various backgrounds with
multiple views and beliefs.  I'm not offended by strong language or
opinionated, agenda-driven material even when I disagree, however, I
understand some people don't appreciate postings containing this type of
material.  Refraining from certain vernacular or aggressive tones helps
foster a general respect among an online community.  Despite our own
feelings and thoughts, we should attempt to consider others views when
responding.

That being said, no one is forced to read all the content listed.
Personally, I could do without the non-school related posts or
frivolous, fluff not intended to challenge and make us think, but I
don't bother to address this.  It's a big world full of differing
lifestyles and views- if I expected every person and every thing I find
offensive or annoying to be banned or stifled, I'd find myself alone,
talking to a wall.

Here's the thing, if I want to say things and believe things, I have to
allow others the same right.  Trust me, I'm an opinionated person who
can get heated, but nothing good has ever come from censoring or banning
people and ideas.  I see so much bickering on this list because of
disagreements and people taking offense to what others say.  If posts
and responses were structured to facilitate open discussions even when
we disagree, this would be a healthy, constructive line of
communication.  Most the time, though, discussions spiral down to
name-calling, rude, aggressive-toned responses, requests for others to
stifle or even stop- it becomes rather ridiculous and pointless.  What
we post should be informative and helpful and relate, in some way, to
school and blindness, but most the time when discussions are allegedly
offensive in nature, the discussion has dwindled down to something no
longer constructive or helpful.  There's an intelligent, constructive
way to debate opinions and ideas, but usually arguments here end up as
street fights, and not nice Westside Story street fights.  I find
nastiness more offensive than cursing or other material deemed
offensive.

We choose what we say, we choose to react.  I chose to write this email-
I didn't have to, and I wasn't forced; I made a choice.  When we read
and respond, we do so because we made a decision.  If a particular
person tends to make steam squiggle out of your ears, avoid their posts.
If you find certain material offensive, don't read it, or at least don't
respond to it.  It's simple.

Arg!  I don't really know why I'm involving myself in this.  I just get
tired of people, and this is not directed to any individual, dwelling on
what bothers them and choosing to respond and creating more animosity.
Short of prejudicial and discriminatory posts, no one deserves to be
banned- not that I think this is ever taken seriously, but it's not
necessary to make the comment.

What do I know though?  I'm posting about not posting when something
bothers or annoys you because something bothers and annoys me.  *smirky
grin*

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Message: 25