[nabs-l] navigating the airports

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Tue Dec 13 02:50:59 UTC 2011

Ashley,

The amount of assistance you take or reject is really up to you. If you
want someone to take you to your gate, you can arrange it. If you do
not, indicate that clearly to the person who arranges your boarding
pass as they'll often push assistance on you that you didn't request.

when you go through security, the law says that you can walk with your
cane through the detector if you like. Just keep the tip to the ground
and don't touch the sides of the detector as you pass through. This
works best with an NFB cane as it is not made of metal. Either before
or after you walk through, let them scan it in their x-ray machine.
They may raise a fuss when you try to get it back (that is, if you scan
it first and walk through afterward). It's up to you whether or not you
want to deal with this particular headache. As for me, I personally
feel more oriented when I walk through with my cane after letting them
scan it. 75% of the time, that's no problem. But those 25% really are a
bugger. As to the wheelchair, don't take it if you don't want it. It's
your right to choose, not theirs.

As to medications, you can take pills on board and liquids or sprays
with clear bottles carrying less than 3 ounces a piece. Put these in a
quart-sized ziplock and be ready to show them to the TSA agents as you
go through. I'd also carry the doctor's perscription just in case.

Respectfully,
Jedi