[nabs-l] Washington Seminar Experiences

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 01:36:09 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Cindy gave a great summary of what happens at Washington Seminar. I
have attended several, and really enjoyed it too. In some ways
Washington Seminar is more exciting than convention. The group is
smaller, so you are working together with a dedicated crowd of
Federationists, and your work will directly impact the legislation
that affects our future.
One thing to add is that I know it is difficult for many of us to miss
a week of school for the entire Washington Seminar. I did it once, but
usually leave early. Depending on how your state affiliate has
appointments set up, you might not need to stay until Thursday-many
people leave on Wednesday, for example. Another compromise, which I
think is still very worthwhile, is to fly out to D.C. on Saturday,
attend the NABS stuff on Sunday and then fly back on Monday or
Tuesday. I did this several times including one year when seminar fell
right before I was leaving for Australia. You will miss the
legislative action, but you will still be able to enjoy and learn from
the all-day NABS gathering on Sunday and network with other blind
students during the NABS social if there is one. The NABS winter
gathering is longer and more in-depth than the convention meeting, and
it includes breakout sessions, where you can ask questions to
experienced blind students in person. Going for just three nights is
also much cheaper if you are on a budget, and you would potentially
only miss one day of school.
If you are thinking of going, I'd suggest talking to your NFB state
president about who else is going, when your appointments are and
whether they have financial assistance available to help cover your
expenses.
Best,
Arielle