[nabs-l] GRE

Spangler, Robert Robert.Spangler at rockets.utoledo.edu
Wed Dec 21 22:42:46 UTC 2011

Hello,

I would be applying for a Spanish graduate program.  It appears as though the GRE is just one extra component upon which the universities can evaluate one's ability to handle the rigors of graduate work.  As far as Spanish programs go, I have looked at several universities and one's here in Ohio (University of Toledo and Wright State, for instance) do not require the GRE whereas Ohio State University, University of Chicago, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison do.  Oh and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee does not and that university has sent students to PH.D. programs at larger institutions.  So the trend appears to show that the major, larger universities require it for their spanish programs and the smaller ones do not.  This is probably due to the better universities requirement to filter out due to great numbers of applicants.

Do PH.D. programs require GRE scores?  It is a possibility that I will want to get a PH.D. in the future so I should definitely make decisions now that will make that process more flexible when I get there.

Thanks,
Robby
--
Robert Spangler