[nabs-l] clothes shopping

Mark J. Cadigan kramc11 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 03:49:22 UTC 2011

Ashley,

How old are you? By this I mean, are you out of high school, out of college,
in high school or college etcetera. This makes a big difference in the
urgency of figuring out how to shop independently. If you are still in high
school or college, there is no problem with shopping with your parents.

I am in college, and although I independently shop for clothes when I have
to, I much prefer my parents shopping with me, mostly this is because they
pay for it. As a college student, saving money is far more important to me
than the principle of shopping for my self independently.

When I go shopping, I follow a similar procedure as others on this list, and
ask for assistance. Another thought is, have you ever thought of attending
one of the NFB training centers. Not only will you learn to shop for
yourself, you will learn how to do everything independently, including
cooking, cleaning, and other household tasks. You will also improve your
Braille and technology skills. There mobility training is top notch, which
will benefit you in college or when getting a job.

Hope this helps,

Mark