[nabs-l] creative writing class

Andi adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:36:10 UTC 2011

I took two classes like this, one was a creative writing class and the other
was a writing class dealing with different cultures so it was very similar
in that you had to get creative to be able to write from the perspective of
a different culture a lot of research was involved as well.  The basic
concept was the same but they were run completely different so as far as
knowing how it go's that depends on the teacher.  One thing I can tell you
though is that it will probably be a class where you will be required to
peer edit.  For this end ever I suggest having a partner or two that are
willing to have it done the night before rather than scrambling at the last
minute so you can email the papers to each other.  Another option if you are
also a procrastinator as I was is to use a laptop as a note taker rather
than a brail note and fined a partner who does the same then you can trade
lap tops if you have that portable jaws or windoeyes thing: or you could
email that day if the school has wifi, or use a thumb drive to pass the
information around to your partner or partners and vise versa.  Make sure
you know what format of word your partners have so everything is compatible.
I personally found the thumb drive method to work the best because a lot of
time we used class time to edit and you want to make sure you have something
to do when they edit if you did it ahead of time you will just be sitting
their.  However it is up to you and what works the best for you and your
editing partners.  Also I recommend either having a second copy for your
partner to edit so you can compare or having your partner just rite a list
of suggestions in a separate document.  The reason I say this is because
some things are necessary corrections while others are opinion based. If it
is a opinion based suggestion and it is not one you like or you only like
part of it you do not want your copy changed in case you do not remember
what you originally had.  Many sighted people use laptops in lou of pen and
paper so this will not be hard to do.

Andi