[nabs-l] scholarships for international students

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 16:29:02 UTC 2011

Tara,

Could you give some clarifications on the Torres scholarship? I would
like to apply based on this description on the AFB page.

The Ferdinand Torres Scholarship provides one (1) scholarship of $3,500
to a full-time undergraduate or graduate student. Strong preference will
be given
to new immigrants to the United States, and to those residing in the New
York City metropolitan area. To be eligible the applicant must reside in
the United
States, but need not be a citizen of the United States.

1. I will be a citizen of the United States by February, more than likely.

2. I have been in the country since 1995, which means I am not a new
immigrant.

3. How does AFB define "resides in the United States?" Does it require
applicants to be Resident Alien card holders?

4. Do people who are not new immigrants, and do not live in the New York
metropolitan area have a good chance at receiving the Torres
scholarship? Ie, number of recipients outside the "strong preference"
status in the past?

I realize these questions require thought and a little research on your
part, but you stated this scholarship is for international students who
are not citizens. Is the strong preference a requirement? Part of that
will depend on the pool of applicants you will get, but what is the
general approach?

I applaud the effort to help fund the international student education
since this population tends to receive less state agency support than
others.

I appreciate your thoughtful response.

Antonio