[nabs-l] Other sites for downloading books?

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:24:53 UTC 2011

For book sin text files (that can be read with a screenreader or on a
book player equipped with a reader (such as the Victor Reader Stream),
I definitely suggest the Internet Archives. Just do a google search
for it. It has a ton of copyright-free books, many of them classics.
There is also a reigious archives...anyone know what it's called? It
has relgioius texts for most any religion, from Christianity to
Buddhism to Wicca. And you didn't mention RFBD (Recordings for the
Blind and Dyslexic, www.rfbd.org). Do you know that one? It's
textbooks mainly, but I've seen other books on there also. Audible.com
is a great site. Their recordings are amazing, very professionally
made. They have a subscription fee, but it's well worth it in my
opinion. Let's see...have you looked at your local library's website?
Many libraries these days are offering downloadable audio books on
loan. I know my local library does, though most of their downloadable
books are children's boks, so I don't use it much.

There are qutie a few downloadable book sites. If you do an internet
search for "audio books"+downloadable, you should find quite a few of
them. You can also do a search for "downloadable books"+free, and that
should give you a number of books as well. Good luck!

--
~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!