[nabs-l] Training centers and their structure

Jordan Richardson lilrichie411 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 23:37:42 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Here's my two cents.
I am of the belief that trainning should fit the person.  Some people need a
trainning center as an adult, and others do not.  I also believe that
trainning does not end when a person graduates from a center--whether it be
graduating from some summers of a buddy-type program and a couple years of a
teen program, or an adult program.  I am of the belief that trainning never
REALLY ends.  We are always learning new ways to do things, and always
practicing and improving upon the skills we already have.

With this said, I believe that if a blind child was raised with "normal"
expectations, attended buddy programs, teen programs, and has the right
possitive attitude, confidence in themselves, and maturity they do not
necessarily need a trainning center as an adult.  They simply need to get
out into their community, get out into some other community, and use the
skills they have learned while they were growing up.

I believe that another important factor in trainning is teaching the skills
to the blind children who come after them.  It is said that the best way to
learn something is to teach that something.

I also believe that another aspect to "good trainning" is to get out of your
comfort zone.  Try to If one goes out of state for trainning they will
receive better trainning because they are farther from home, farther from
their parents who can sometimes be very protectinve.  If you live in
Colorado, go to LCB, BLIND Inc or BISM, for example.  This will force you to
be on your own and to rely on yourself; it will build confidence in you.

I will further add that if we can introduce blind children to these skills
at a younger age, then get them in buddy programs, then teen programs, we
can use adult programs to focus more on people who go blind later in life.
This will also help push blind children right into the real world so that
they can go to college right after high school, like their sighted peers,
and start earning money and contributing to society at large.

To summarize, I believe that the trainning should fit the individual.

Your thoughts?
Respectfully,