[nabs-l] The Blind Bubble

alex aaatlantic at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 17:03:12 UTC 2011

Dear all,
 I absolutely agree with pretty much everything that's been posted
here, so far.  Blindness shouldn't really be a factor in deciding who
you're going to marry, which is why I'm _probably_ not going to marry
a blind person.  Most of my friends are sighted, most of the people I
work with are sighted, and, because of that, odds are it'll be a
sighted person I eventually marry.  Let's say I fall in love with a
girl who happens to be blind...assuming she's a competent homemaker,
and assuming I have the skills to get a good job, and assuming we both
can travel independently where we need to go...great.  But because my
"dating pool" is almost totally sighted...that's probably not going to
happen.  If blindness is only a characteristic, it shouldn't matter.
Yet I know so many (who I respect a great deal), who make blindness
and blind issues their livelyhoods.  I know we need good professionals
in the blindness field, I know we have to fight for
accessibility...but there are other fights and other causes much more
important to me.  I admire people who devote their time and energy to
advocating for other blind people, I hope to do a good bit of it
myself...but I hope to do much, much more.  And so many people in the
Federation, from what I've seen, focus so much on blindness and it
makes me think "wait a minute.  Isn't this only supposed to be a
characteristic?  A minor inconvenience?"  I don't want to devote such
a disproportionate amount of my energy and ability to a
nuisence...but, that's just me.
 All the best,
Kirt