[nabs-l] Winter weather travel

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 13 07:44:35 UTC 2011

Marsha,

First, no one is "super" anything-- that goes for blind people too.
True, some may understand cardinal directions better, and some have an
inate ability to quickly navigate new surroundings, but we are human--
not cookie-cutter versions of one another.

If anyone caused you-- or anyone else-- to feel inferior because of
struggling in nasty, winter conditions, I would assume said person has
never independently traveled in such conditions.

Sighted and blind, we all lose our direction, and we all can become
disoriented.  The true test of good skills is when you refuse to give up
and keep truckin'.

We should work on using any skills and methods available to us.  We
should live as independently as we can-- and by this, I mean pursuing
our goals efficiently, living by our own terms and not what others
direct, and setting a positive example as a blind person, and as an
individual in general.  We strengthen our own lives as well as those
around us when following this path.

This does not mean, however, that you will not make mistakes or lose
focus at times.  Training at an NFB center, or other similar center,
does not ensure a life devoid of mistakes or challenges.  What it does
ensure is that you will be armored with the proper tools, methods,
attitudes and support to help you navigate challenges.

You mentioned an hearing impairment-- this, of course, adds another
dimension to your "skills" used for dealing with weather related issues
when traveling.  It does not mean it is impossible, but it certainly
presents a challenge, and one, I might add, you seem to have overcome.

I have mild neuropathy so Braille is not always efficient for me.  I
have spent the last 8 years being embarrassed by this, but I realized it
is out of my control.  Others can think what they want about the lack of
my Braille reading; I know the truth.  I know Braille, and I use it as
often as I can.

We all learn at different paces, and we all have strengths as well as
flaws.  Anyone implying that difficulty when traversing city streets
during winter,, or other unfriendly weather, is due to a lack of ability
with mobility skills, has their own issues to deal with.

These mindsets-- attitudes-- do not fill people with a desire to attend
a training center, or join the Federation.  They simply turn people off,
and give us rational, open-minded people, a bad name.

Bridgit

Message: 28