[nabs-l] Assignments with copy editing

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 13 21:22:19 UTC 2011

Sean,
Wow, I never knew blind students had that much lee way.
I was treated like other students, but  with accomodations.
They had procedures there so you would not be able to cheat easily.

The only quizzes I took home were last semester when I did them
electronically; we figured it would be easier to take a short quiz that way
rather than going to the testing center who does not have a decent version
of Jaws!
The school is way behind in providing reasonable accomodations; jaws is old!
I had to email my take home tests and quizzes at the same time as other
students.
I never questioned it as it seemed fair to me.
Oh only one time for my counseling theories test I had an extra day for the
take home, open book test.

I went to George mason university, GMU, before Marymount university, mu.
You said
"It amazes me how many students are allowed to use
notetakers and laptops (with internet connections), get copies of tests
ahead of time, or email in test answers well after the testing period is
over."
At both schools that never happened.
I took my test in the learning resource center, lrc, at mu and the dss
office at GMU.
In all cases, I had to leave my belongings in the main part of the dss
office or lrc.
They told me not to bring a phone either.  I was not allowed to have a
laptop or a
notetaker with me.  At mu they even wrote down the time you started and
finished the test so your professor
would know you did not get extra time than you were supposed to have.
I'll add that these procedures were for all students with disabilities, not
just blind students.
I was treated like other students but got double time for tests.  They had
policies to ensure that you did not cheat or that someone was taking the
test for you.
At MU they also have you show your ID and
sign the honor pledge.
I was allowed to use the computer for essays though; but not allowed on the
internet.

Regarding my case, I'll see what the disability counselor says.
She is going to get me a reader for the test; I'll have to explain that I
need to read this part myself to ensure I pick up errors.
I can braille it myself at home with my embosser, yet I don't know if
they'll allow that.
I'm an honest person and would never take advantage of time, but who knows.

Ashley