[nabs-l] unemployment rate?

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Feb 13 23:42:43 UTC 2011

Arrielle:

The Department of Labor doesn't count you if you aren't "actively
looking for a job.  So, I think they say the rate of unemployment for
disabled persons is around 14 percent -- but if 56 percent of our
population isn't even counted in that figure, primarily because they
have been unemployed for so long they get discouraged, etc., this is a problem.

The 70 percent figure, as originally was "70 percent are unemployed
or underemployed."  Over the years the under employment part has
gotten dropped off -- nevertheless, I don't think anyone knows what
our unemployment figure is.

As someone working in rehab, and in contact with DOL programs my
educated guess is that our unemployment rate is probably 40 percent or worse.

Dave