[nabs-l] bookshare access

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 01:00:15 UTC 2011

Hi, Ashley,
  Bookshare has a wide range of fiction and nonfiction selections, so
it is a great source of pleasure/personal reading, but to my knowledge
it does not carry very many textbooks (although I think this is
gradually changing). It can be helpful if you are taking classes like
English lit though as you will likely be able to find the classics you
are required to read on the site. The files come in both DAISY and BRF
formats, so you can choose whichever file type that works better for
you (the DAISY files can be played on a Victor Stream, for example,
and you can read the brf files on your Braille Note). I know that all
full-time students under age 26 can join for free, but I'm not sure
about the eligibility of part-time students; I'm sure you can find out
by going to the Membership link on the Bookshare site. Hope this
helps!
    Katie