[nabs-l] Philosophy in society

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 16:06:53 UTC 2011

On the topic  of blind people in   blindness-related conversation:  I
believe that's not at all uncommon  or unreasonable.  Ifyou are around
 blind friends and something blindness related comes up, then it comes
up.  It's normal for any ethnic group to have   conversations of or
relating to their culture or ethnicity.  Can  those conversations  run
a little long and be overkill, sure they can.  And while I  could
guess that we've gotten caught up in a little more  "blindness talk"
than we might expect every once in a while, I am not too sure how this
translates into how we deal with the sighted community's perceptions
of us, yet respect where we as a person/people  are at the time?  We
may know the truth about blindness, but does that mmean that we need
to walk around with nfb litriture in our back  pack ready to wirl
around with something in   hand in responce to "why do you use that
stick?" or, "you must be really good at music"? Doesn't that
underscore why we are different  more than equil?
  just some thoughts.

 Respectfully,
  Darian