[nabs-l] Any thoughts on Washington Seminar

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 22:32:15 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Perhaps they found the timing appropriate because of the major emphasis being put on education.  The government has created major incentives for states to get up to scratch through the "Race to the top" money.  Even though money is tight, the government has committed millions, if not billions to this project in the last year.  Also, our congressmen mentioned that there is talk of renewing the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, which was what became No Child Left Behind in 2002.  So, they might be onto something.

As to the question of national standards, if I have paid attention in class, NCLB and IDEA primarily raised the standards for teachers and educational agencies, trying to bring a measure of needed accountability into the education process.  They did not define standards for the content areas to say exactly what kids should learn.  Recently states were asked to adopt a set of national content standards as part of Race to the Top. 48 states have chosen to adopt them.  So, national standards for education are the "hip" thing, I just don't see the government offering such enticing incentives to states for Blind students, since we are such a small group.

Hopefully this muddied the water even further.  If you want to know more about any of the stuff I mentioned, a quick google search or wikipedia is a great resource for cursory info.

-Greg