[nabs-l] Using A Braille Embosser In College

Serena Cucco serenacucco at verizon.net
Sun Feb 27 01:08:48 UTC 2011

Hi Briana,

Your Braille teachers who said Braille is opsalete and that you'll mostly
rely on audio formats are half right and half wrong.  If you have a
subscription to Bookshare or can get one, you can download bookshare books
to your BrailleNote, if you have one of those.  Bookshare subscriptions are
free for students!  It is true that there are not that many books in hard
copy Braille in college, so, maybe, that's what your Braille teachers meant.
They really shouldn't have said it that way!  As far as a Braille
embosser,if you didn't use it in high school, you probably won't need it
much in college.  Can't you simply bring the one you used in high school
with you to college?  If you have to pick what to ask your Commission for
the Blind to buy for you, I strongly suggest a BrailleNote, rather than a
Braille embosser.

Serena