[nabs-l] my career interests

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:07:35 UTC 2011

Josh,

It sounds to me as though you are more focused on getting the career without
giving too much attention to your degree.  A degree isn't a pass card to
land a job.  In fact, many people find it difficult to find a job even with
a degree, so you really have to milk your degree for all it's worth to
really know your field and ensure you are competitive against the hundreds
of people that apply for any one position.  To that end, I'm not sure where
this nonsense of psychology fits anywhere.  In due course I will be looking
for someone to add to my company with the ability to handle web design and
database management, and I assure you psychology will not be a key qualifier
for me.  I already know I'm crazy. LOL

Seriously, this may sound harsh.  Yet, I think you're setting yourself up
for failure.  Helping friends fix their technical issues is nice but is not
tangible experience.  Volunteer for an organization where you can document
your work and walk away with a reference or two.  And, remember that just
because you're interested in adaptive technology, this does not mean the job
will be any easier to land.  As you have already discovered, degrees are
preferred, and my own opinion, relevant degrees are even better so that I,
as a potential future customer, can trust that the representative on the
other end of the line is fully competent to discuss all the issues related
to my problem if my inquiry is related to technical support.  If I'm a
student, I want to ensure the teacher knows more than I do, not the other
way around as was sadly the case in a recent experience.

I'm still scratching my head over this business of dolphins.  Maybe the
first step is to sit down and really figure out what it is you want out of
life.  Don't feel compelled to enter a career because anyone is pressuring
you.  If you can figure out your true ambition, your studies are going to be
much more enjoyable, and you will feel more motivated to find a way to get
around inaccessible Microsoft products.  Trust me, the accessibility
problems will never go away.  I consider myself to be just shy of an
advanced computer user, and I still go back and forth with our office on our
stupid file exchange network.

Finally, if you have to ask whether InstantDegrees.com is a credible
educational institution, you've got a lot of work ahead of you my friend.
It's a diploma mill.  I've seen your posts where you've checked out several
different options for your education.  Pick one, suck it up and stick to it!

Best,

Joe