[nabs-l] waver

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 9 20:29:00 UTC 2011

Josh,
Sorry to be blunt but your ideas seem like dreams.  Do you think your voc
rehab agency will buy you a different screen reader for one class?  I highly
doubt it because budgets are tight and its not cost effective to buy
something you'll use three months.  Any adaptive technology purchase has to
be justifiable and related to your employment goal.
Next for the companies to script their screen readers and make them
accessible its a large undertaking and will not happen in the time you need
it to.  Even if you take a semester off as you said you would, do you think
the companies will be ready?  Did you ask them the time frame of the
scripting process?
If MS project is graphical it may not be something that is rendered
accessible; some software is just not.
Also there needs to be a large demand for this.  Are many blind people
needing Ms project and made the request? I have no idea.

Rather than getting a waver, I suggest some things.  Hire a reader to help
you; get a course substitution for the class.  Could you use another program
to accomplish the same goals of the class?

Anyway, good luck figuring this out but I don't think asking companies to
script their software, and expecting it to be ready soon is a realistic
idea.

Ashley