[nabs-l] don't want a waver

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Jan 10 20:17:21 UTC 2011

Josh,

It must seem that we are all just throwing wet blankets on things for you, so let me say first that I hope that you hang in there and that you get the degree
you want.

First, as you probably know, you simply cannot script everything, especially in NVDA.  It is a good screen reader, but it does not have the access to all data
that Window-Eyes, JFW or Super Nova have even though it handles some things better.  Also, people that are good at scripting generally charge pretty
well.  It is not at all certain that you would save money by scripting NVDA instead of purchasing Super Nova.  However, as I have mentioned before, buying
a different screen reader and learning it to us MS Project for a class may still not be the most sensible approach.  It could be that working with someone who
can look at the screen and tell you how to do things might be the most effective way to deal with the class.  You can then concentrate on learning the
concepts of the software rather than trying to figure out which keystroke does the same thing as the mouse click that the professor mentions.  I've done this
myself as I have said before, and then dealt with the access issues later.  You also will want to be sure to understand exactly what Super Nova does to
make MS Project accessible.  Super Nova uses some different techniques, so it is possible that they are able to deal with some things better than can other
screen readers.  Did you check out that programming web site that I gave you on another list to see if there might be other programmers with ideas on MS
Project?  You can send a message to

program-l-request at freelists.org

with the word "subscribe" without the quotes in the subject.

Also, please note that GW Micro has a lease plan for their screen reader, Window-Eyes.  This provides one more option in addition to Serotek's System
Access.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson