[nabs-l] waver

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 00:56:35 UTC 2011

Hello Arielle,

Not sure if your message below was a response to my post, but since I'm the
one that brought up discrimination, I'm going to offer a response.

I don't think I suggested that math and science classes are highly visual,
at least not inherently highly visual.  In fact, I said that music
appreciation at Gallaudet and art history at my imaginary blind university
would be "designed in such a way that the deaf and blind students wouldn't
be forced to work harder simply to make up for the ignorance of the people
who designed the course/curriculum."

You yourself said such courses are "visual to the extent that sighted
teachers tend to present the material in visual ways".  This is where the
discrimination occurs, in the fact that blind students are forced to do
extra work, when this requirement is not actually necessary.

Would it be acceptable to require a woman to do extra work, simply because
the teacher tends to present the material in such a way that it requires
more work for women? I doubt it.

I think you make interesting points, but since my claim was never that such
courses are necessarily discriminatory, but are in fact discriminatory due
to the way the material is presented, which you seem to agree can be done in
a visual manner, I would ask why it would not be discrimination to
unnecessarily create more work for a blind student when it would be
discrimination to unnecessarily create more work for a woman.

Students can certainly succeed, even in the face of pervaisive
discrimination.  They can be creative, and work harder, and come up with
solutions to solve fundamental design problems, and this can even make them
better.  But I have trouble understanding why someone would accept
discrimination on the grounds that it can be overcome.

Best,

Marc