[nabs-l] waver

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 00:57:37 UTC 2011

Hello Steve,

I guess I may have missed it, can you please point me to where anyone said
that "there is no
reason for us to learn about visual arts because we are blind".  I'm sure I
didn't say it, but perhaps someone else did.  I would agree that there's
something not right about that position.

Steve said,
How fair is it that some people have to work so much harder to get the same
grades while others learn easily and hardly have to study.  How fair is it
that some have to work to have spending money while they are in school and
may even graduate with a debt while others are fortunate enough to get
everything from their parents.

Marc says,
Of course life isn't fair, the question is whether we should simply accept
this.  There is injustice all over the place, but the fact that it exists,
and maybe even always will exist, doesn't mean it *ought* to exist.  It
doesn't mean we shouldn't be pointing it out every chance we get.

Steve said,
It seems to me that we have some responsibility to conform to the
requirement of the college we have chosen because we presumably picked that
college for a reason.

Marc says,
Do you agree with the following statement, or can you show me why the two
situations are not the same?

It seems to me that we have some responsibility to accept the low wages of
the workhouse we have chosen because we presumably picked that workhouse for
a reason.

You might say that there were no acceptable alternatives to the workhouses,
so the workers didn't have real choice.  I think the same could be said of
universities that force students to work harder simply because they are
blind.  I doubt there are any universities where this is not the case, so
there is also no acceptable alternative.

I respect the argument that dealing with these challenges better prepares us
for difficult situations we may face in the future, employment for example.
Joe has made similar arguments in past discussions of universal design.  I
have a problem with it for two reasons:

1, it is an equally strong argument for throwing up roadblocks to make life
more difficult for blind people, and everyone else for that matter.  After
all, if the challenges make us better, then up to a point, the more
challenges, the more skills we will acquire.  Why bother trying to make
airlines more accessible? Blind people might learn to be more confident and
assertive if they have to stand up for themselves.  So why should the NFB
try to make it so we don't have to do this? Why not take away some of the
disability office support? We learn things as a result of the current level
of inaccessibility, so a little more inaccessibility will likely lead to us
learning a little more.  Actually, my guess is that there are many who
really would advocate for making things harder.  And the argument would
almost certainly include the phrase: "when I was in university, we didn't
have..."

2, this argument presupposes that one would not spend that extra time
developing the same or other skills.  Why assume that if I didn't spend
extra time dealing with the challenges of inaccessible classes that I
wouldn't be learning something else? Perhaps something else that would be
equally useful in an employment situation.  I see no reason to assume that
dealing with these challenges is the only way to ensure that we will have
necessary and marketable skills when looking for employment.

Just by way of conclusion, I'll say that, out of the dozen or so
blindness-related lists I'm on, I think this one has some of the smartest
participants and the most interesting debates about blindness, which is very
good.  The bad thing is that they draw me in and take me away from studying
and working.

Best,

Marc