[nabs-l] College classes Vs. High School classes

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 04:49:21 UTC 2011

Kirt's explanation was really good. I don't think there is a way to
totally describe them though. It kind of depends on what type of
school you go to. You could have bigger or smaller classes. Although
some professors don't care about attendance, some do, and some in an
indirect way such as through pop quizzes or giving extra credit points
now and then to people who show up. You'll just have to get used to
how much reading, or lack there of, you need to do. It takes a
semester or two to figure out how you study and how well you retain
information, so don't take one person's advice as the path to easy
A's. Although some classes will have assignments aside from tests,
there will be a lot fewer, and some classes simply have 3 or 4 tests
and that's your final grade. Some professors are very high tech with
interactive powerpoints, some are willing to put the notes online, and
others just stand in the front and talk. The biggest difference I
think is that you won't spend as much time in class. On average a
person takes 15 credit hours a semester, and that means they spend 15
hours in class each week, and classes can meet, once, twice, or three
times a week, usually on alternating days. Classes can be from 8:00 in
the morning, and some don't end until 9:00 at night. So you'll have a
lot more time, but you'll have to do a lot more yourself. There won't
be as much direction, but most professors in my experience have been
willing to help if you take initiative.

There will be tons of student organizations, so you can find
organizations representing things you're interested in and meet people
with common interests. There will still be ignorant people, but I have
met a lot of people who are great. Sometimes all you need to do is
answer a few questions, or be willing to talk about yourself, and then
after a while, they'll forget taht you're blind. I love college, but
it definitely took me a semester to transition. I am slow to change,
so it certainly is different for all people, but don't give up if you
don't make a ton of friends instantly like a lot of pop culture and
people say happens. Right now it feels like I made a ton of friends
instantly, but that's because once I made friends I kind of forgot not
having them, you know? So just give yourself time before you decide
that where you go to school isn't right for you or anything like that.

Well, I'll stop rambling, but look forward to school! If you put in
the effort, you'll get a lot out of it and never want to graduate.

Cindy