[nabs-l] An Invitation to Participate in a Sex Knowledge Survey

Liz Bottner liziswhatis at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:20:08 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I send the following on behalf of a colleague. See below.

Liz

We are conducting a study to develop the content of a test to determine the
level of knowledge that young adults who are blind or severely visually
disabled possess. Thus, with this e-mail message, you are being invited to
participate if you are between the ages of 18 and 20 and if you are blind or
severely visually impaired.  Please read the ramifications for participation
in the study which are described below. After reading the information, if
you wish to participate  in the study, please send Gaylen Kapperman an
e-e-mail indicating that you are willing to participate. Include your name,
age, whether you are male or female, and the approximate level of visual
disability that you have. Include  your mailing address and your telephone
number. If you agree to the stipulations as described below, indicate that
in your e-mail.  Upon receipt of your e-mail, Professor Kapperman will
forward your e-mail to one of his research assistants who will make contact
with you to set up a  date and time when you can be interviewed.  If you are
male, he will choose a male research assistant and if you are female, he
will choose a female research assistant. Upon completion of the interview,
we will send you a ten-dollar bill as a token of our appreciation. Please
read the description of the research study below.
And please forward this e-mail to anyone whom you know who meets the
requirements for participation and whom you think may be interested in being
included in the study. We are trying to find as many individuals to
participate as we can by "going viral" with this invitation.  Thus, you can
help us a lot by forwarding this on to others.

Please read the following paragraphs carefully.
With this e-mail message, we are requesting that you participate in a
research study. We want to develop a test over sex knowledge which blind and
visually impaired young adults can take. This is a rough draft. That is, we
are not certain whether the 131true/false statements on the test are written
properly. You can help us develop this test by taking it and giving us your
answers.  Your answers will be completely anonymous. That is, no one except
the researchers will know how you answered the statements. No one outside of
the research team will see your answers.  We will ask you to indicate
whether you are a  male or female , your age, and your visual acuity. We
will record all of that information including your name and address, but
please be assured that once we have analyzed the results, we intend to
delete  all of the names of the participants so no one in the future will be
able to tell who participated.

The  interviewer will read each statement. Then, you are to  tell the
interviewer whether you think it is true or false.  We do not want you to
guess. Thus, if you do not know, we want you to indicate that to the
interviewer. Also, if  the interviewer  reads words that you do not
understand, we want you to  tell the interviewer those words.  When you are
done, we will  send you a ten-dollar bill as a token of our appreciation for
your willingness to  be interviewed.

The purpose of this study is to develop the best test we can in order that
we can use it in the future with other visually disabled adolescents and
young adults. The problem is if the test is not very good, then we can't
trust the results. Thus, you can help us by taking the test as a trial run.
We will analyze all of the answers given by all of the  participants to help
us figure out which statements are good and which ones should be thrown out
or rewritten.

We want you to understand that you are not forced to  participate in this
study. If you choose not to participate, that is okay. Nothing bad will
happen. If you start the  interview and then decide not to finish it, that
is okay too. We want you to know that if you finish the interview, then we
will give you a ten-dollar bill. If you decide not to  be interviewed or not
to finish the interview, then you will not receive the money.

If you have questions or concerns about this study, you are invited to
contact Gaylen Kapperman, the director of the study. He can be reached by
e-mail at gkapperman at niu.edu. Alternatively, you may reach him by telephone
at 815-753-8453 at Northern  Illinois University.

Please be sure to read the following statement.
By my responding to this invitation by sending Gaylen Kapperman an e-mail
indicating my willingness to participate, I attest to the fact that I have
read the statement above and that I understand the  ramifications of my
participation in the study.

Thank you very  much.
Sincerely,
Gaylen Kapperman