[nabs-l] rights as blind students and responsibilities ofuniversities

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 01:55:05 UTC 2011

And, are these negative attitudes towards are economy and our rights, to get
accommodations, to get all the books that we request either in Braille or
electronically, to get all our material on time, to get access to technology
like the other students, and to get our access to our education, going to
threaten the blind community?
	I understand the economy is suffering. I can understand that though
the government is trying its best to help people in action, it is not and it
is cutting federal funding as well as programs, and many businesses are in a
budget now days. While these facts are true, what does this mean? Are
federal and local governments also putting a budget cut within the
disability support offices in colleges? Does this mean it will be much
difficult to even request services from them?
	if this is truly happening, what should we do? As I embark into my
freshman year in college, I am quite startled at these negative thinkings,
or otherwise challenges, that we the blind would have to go through.
	I want to be able to contribute to taxes some day, get a stable
good-paying career job, and do all that stuff, yet I'm not letting this
stupid economy hold me back!