[nabs-l] Convention accomodations

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 16 04:01:39 UTC 2011

Bridgit,
Thanks. I was not sure how NFB handled that and I'm glad they
speak with  hotel staff about this. You're right
most businesses have braille and raised print signs but older buildings do
not because they were built before the ADA. So just because a convention of
blind people is coming, doesn't mean they have braille signs. That's why I
asked since its conceivable that accomodation isn't there. I've been in
buildings without braille signage. There at George Mason university for
instance.
Another good accomodation is to mark the flat keys to your room, because not
everyone can see the arrow; so I'm glad they address that too.
Yes it’s a good idea to politely tell them that generally assistance isn't
needed unless the person asks. After all, we are like other new guests and
want to explore too.
If I attend in 2013, I'll see the hotel and staff firsthand.

Ashley