[nabs-l] Cab Drivers Talking on Their Cell Phones

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 22:01:13 UTC 2011

Nicole,
  I've seen similar studies; maybe I should be more bothered than I am
now.  It's happened to me a couple times, but not all that often.  The
one thing we probably should keep in mind is that taxi drivers need to
stay in pretty constant contact with their dispatchers so they can
know where they're going after they drop you off, report if there are
traffic problems, find out if there's some sort of blockage they'd
need to avoid, that sort of thing.  I've seen some cab drivers use a
radio for this, I've seen some use phones, I think there are some cabs
with built-in computers for communication between driver and
dispatcher but I've not ridden in one personally (to my knowledge),
but the driver has to be able to talk to the dispatcher somehow.
According to the studies you're referencing, that's going to be
dangerous however they do it, but it has to be done.  In any case, I
think it's understandable if you're bothered by that distraction.
Maybe hire a driver if it really makes you feel uncomfortable?  These
are just my thoughts, take them for what they're worth.  (which is
probably not a lot, *grin*)
  Best,
Kirt