[nabs-l] notetakers: are they worth buying anymore?

Brice Smith brice.smith319 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 02:49:28 UTC 2011

Kirt,

I'll play devil's advocate: Is the combination of opening and saving a
document on your netbook or laptop truly such a hassle to you that you
(or your state agency for the blind or another funding source) can
justify paying more than $6000 for a notetaker? I'll argue that if the
convenience of a notetaker is for "taking notes" as you mention,
taking notes can be done fairly quickly with a netbook or laptop, a
slate and stylus, a small voice recorder, or even your phone -- all at
less than one sixth the price of your Apex. An Apex or other notetaker
might be a luxury for note taking that perhaps makes life easier, but
do the benefits really outweigh the costs?