[nabs-l] notetakers: are they worth buying anymore?

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 07:05:05 UTC 2011

I don’t think they do, or at least I think their lifespan is limited.

First, there’s very little that can justify the cost of an Apex these
days.  It just costs too much.  Second, I don’t know how many times I
have heard the excuse from our chapter secretary that his BN crashed
and he needs someone else to get him a recording or produce minutes
or something.  Both it and the PAC mate have a solid reputation for
being about as stable as a house of cards in a tornado.  During an
earthquake.  While a volcano is erupting.

And while the PAC mate is supposed to be so great because it can run
"standard" software for the platform, most of the software doesn’t
actually work with it properly and the platform has pretty much taken
a back seat to iOS and Android at this point.

At the beginning of the PDA revolution, there was Palm.  (Actually,
there was Apple with the Newton, but I’m talking successful PDA
revolution here…)  Then Handspring came along and produced a Palm
that was better than the Palm.  There were accessories the people who
made it never intended, including a folding laptop-style keyboard
called the Stowaray, and suddenly there was no need to lug a laptop
in to a meeting to take notes.  Plus the thing was SO COOL, and it
cost a small fraction of what a laptop did that wasn’t as fast or as
convenient to the task!

Of course, none of this is accessible.

Fast forward about 15 years or so and today sighted people likely use
an iPad or Android-based wannabe tablet for the same purpose.  They
may or may not use an external Bluetooth keyboard.  They could use an
iPhone (or wannabe) for the same purpose, but the sighted like having
big screens that are easy to see, so the preference is the iPad.

But the blind can tell you that the iPhone is just as useful, and
perhaps more so because you can’t stuff an iPad into a pocket (unless
you’re wearing a Scott-E-Vest which is just comical and not really
the point.)  There are flip-out keyboard cases for the iPhone 4
(which are a great idea for any blind user) and small Braille I/O
devices that are much more comfortable to ear than the brick-like
note taker of yesteryear.

And accessibility is improving, in general, on the iPhone.  Even the
Android platform is starting to see some movement in that direction.
At some point either platform will be viable to the blind, at least
as effective as a PAC mate, probably as easy to use as a BrailleNote,
and cheaper than any of the above.

If anybody has a future with the form factor of the traditional note
taker, it’s LevelStar, which figured out that having their own custom
software just doesn’t make sense anymore.  They’re building on the
proven interface of the Icon (their own software) and putting it into
Android itself giving you the ease of a BrailleNote and the function
of an Android device.  And if the guys at LevelStar stay true to
form, they’re going to bring it to you for a lot less than HumanWare
does.

Neither iOS nor Android is ready to replace KeySoft IMO, but KeySoft
is still the same program HumanWare has been schlepping for decades
now with big ticket upgrade fees for small, incremental feature
additions.  In fact, I remember the "major" upgrade (with SMA usage
or paid outright) for KeySoft 7.5 to add RFB&D book support to my
little PK less than six months after I bought the thing!  More than a
year ago, I read a blog article from the CEO of Serotek about the
"blind ghetto" technology.

He was talking about Freedom Scientific and HumanWare specifically,
and how neither company seems to truly innovate.  Why should they?
So far they’ve been able to foist minor evolutions of products that
are becoming less and less stable for exorbitant upgrade fees, or
make minor revisions to a product while maintaining an existing price
point.  The exceptions for HumanWare were the Apex and the Victor
Reader Stream, the former of which saw a massive cost increase that
isn’t going down anytime soon, and the latter was made some five
years ago.

Meanwhile new players are filling the market with devices that are
better than anything any of the big players has to offer at a
fraction of the cost.  Companies like LevelStar, HIMS, SeroTek, and
even GW Micro has dipped its toes in the water here and there.  They
are still making blindness-specific products, but they’re taking a
fresh look and realizing that if they can’t deliver products that are
better or cheaper or both than the legacy dinosaurs (and each other),
they will die out.

The BrailleNote will die off because people will move on.  There are
still people out there using Braille 'n' Speaks, but not many these
days.  The BrailleNote will follow suit.  The PAC mate is halfway
there already, if you ask me.

Joseph - KF7QZC