[nabs-l] On No Cook Cooking

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 25 23:26:01 UTC 2011

This Hadley seminar may not be for everyone-- nothing ever is.
Personally, I'm more apt to watch the Food Network or search for recipes
online, but just because I don't choose to take a seminar like this does
not mean it is wrong, or that Hadley has wrong intentions in offering
it.

To be honest, most cooking shows will provide basic advice like starting
with a clean service or using clean utensils or washing produce, and
these shows are not blind specific-- they are geared towards the entire
viewing audience.

So it seems unfair to make the assertion that Hadley begins the seminar
by reminding to wash your cook station because they assume blind people
don't know this.  I would think everyone- blind and sighted- would be
aware of this, but obviously this is not the case since I find this
advice elsewhere including cookbooks and Food Network programs.

Trust me, I know how easy it is to paint a person or group or idea as
bad, but it's a little unfair.  Short of Hadley point-blank making
statements like blind people are dirty or can't handle sharp objects or
are too vulnerable in the kitchen, etc., we shouldn't assume the intent
behind seminars like this is because they believe blind people less
capable.

And if someone wishes to take a class like this, it does not mean they
are not capable or not independent.  We all seek different resources and
tools to achieve success in any endeavor.  As I said in an earlier post,
if we are being as independent as we can be and reaching for our full
potential, what does it matter how we got there?

When we automatically assume everyone and everything else has misguided
or bad motives, we risk reverse prejudice.  We are certainly allowed
opinions, and we can disagree, but neither should we make erroneous
judgments or allow our thinking to be clouded by one view point.  If
I've learned anything since losing my vision eight years ago, it is
this.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Message: 3