[nabs-l] An additional question about selecting universety

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:58:00 UTC 2011

Hi Adriana,

Although I don't have experience with universities, I would say
that people with disabilities will be received somewhat better in
larger cities than in smaller ones, only because cities have a
larger and more diverse population, therefore the people in those
urban environments are a little more experienced in the diverse
nature of the population, if you know what I mean.  I'm not
saying all people in rural areas are closed-minded and have
little to no experience with people with disabilities, but that's
just a generalization.  I live in a small town in Maryland and
some people in my area are a little closed-minded and show
prejudice against people with disabilities, but I think that
there are a lot less prejudices in our town because of the
education that I and my family do as well as other families in
which a family member has a disability.  But don't let the
prejudice in rural areas scare you from going there entirely.
Dr.  Jernigan grew up on a farm in Tenessee, and look what he
did.  You're going to find prejudice everywhere, sad, but true.
There are really prejudiced people in large cities, and I'm sure
anyone working at the national headquarters of the NFB in
Baltimore can speak to that.  If you decide to go to
Fayetteville, you might have to do some more educating, that's
all.  You're
probably going to have to do some educating if you go to Tampa or
Gainesville or DeKalb.  Just more opportunity to spread the NFB's
positive philosophy.  Hope that helps!
 Chris

To learn more about Camp Abilities and find a local camp near
you, just click on this link to their national Web site:
www.campabilities.org.

The I C.A.N.  Foundation helps visually impaired youth in
Maryland have the ability to confidently say "I can!" How? Click
on this link to learn more and to contribute:
www.icanfoundation.info.

PS: Last chance to get your tickets for the I C.A.N.
Foundation's Night Out at the Frederick Keys fundraiser on June
4th! They're only 6 dollars per ticket and all proceeds go to the
Foundation to help the blind and visually impaired youth in
Maryland! Get your tickets today by contacting Wendy Nusbaum by
phone at 410-984-4369 or by email at wendynusbaum at yahoo.com.
Visit the above link to the I C.A.N.  Foundation Web site for
more information or join us on Facebook at "I C.A.N.  Foundation:
nonprofit organization." Hope to see you at the game!!!

--- Sent from my BrailleNote