[nabs-l] [nfbWaTlk] class essay

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Jun 19 20:32:38 UTC 2011

I agree that expressions like "blind faith" and "turn a blind eye" do need a little more attention as I also believe that they are part of the reason why the blind face such discrimination and lingering prejudice.

Back in ancient Greece, there used to be this thing called "Ate." Ate was the word given to a state where metaphorical and physical blindness meet. Whenever Ate was mentioned in a play or story, it was often unclear whether or not physical or metaphorical blindness was the topic of discussion. People overcome by Ate were said to be crazy and overcome by their emotions. Often, physical blindness worked itself into the story somewhere, usually as a punishment for actions committed under the influence of metaphorical blindness or as a cause of metaphorical blindness. Over the centuries, the crazy aspects of Ate faded and it morphed more into a sense of ignorance or not knowing. that notion still exists. If it didn't, why do the sighted tell us about things we know are there like stairs and things? Why do they insist that they know more about the world than we do just because they use a more common sensorium than we do?

While it is true that we may not be able to change language altogether, I think it is important to look at our language and see where it needs changing. Note that in this very sentence, I said see instead of discover; I can only conclude that I, like everyone else, have come to associate seeing with discovery.   In any case, it's always a good idea to think about how our social and linguistic conditioning affects us. There is nothing wrong with using the word blind to describe someone with a visual condition that substancially alters their way of life, but there is a problem with linking that physical blindness with a host of other problems such as ignorance, or as Joanne pointed out, subhumanity.

Respectfully,
Jedi

Sent from my iPhone