[nabs-l] Convention attractions

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 01:40:42 UTC 2011

Hi Darian and everyone:

I know I just posted with questions about purchasing a new laptop but
it's ironic that Darian asked about convention because I have a couple
of questions related to this exact subject.

I'll start by saying the things I am most looking forward to about
convention are meeting people, possibly going to Disney, and if I can
get up the courage to go (this is sort of where my question comes in)
the conference being held by the PDRIB on structured discovery, it's
beginnings, it's history, and it's future.

Now for my questions. I hope these don't sound stupid.

I found out about the Rehab conference a few months ago when it was
first announced. Even though I have not been to training yet I am
really interested in the NFB philosophy of rehabilitation, the
blindness field, and structured discovery. I really wanted to go to
the Rehab conference held last year at convention but got intimidated
so didn't end up going. I really really want to attend this year's
conference but I am not sure.

I know they said students are welcome but it's mostly for
professionals right? Would it be okay for me to attend as a person who
is interested? Are any other students from this list planning on
attending?

Are students allowed to attend the breakout sessions? I have picked
three that look interesting and I think I could learn a  lot from them
but I don't want to get in over my head if everyone knows what I mean
by that.

My skills are definitely not where they should be yet and I don't want
to look dumb in front of all the Rehab/O&M professionals.

Should I feel intimadated at all or is this something I should go to
if I'm interested?

Thanks so much and I'm excited/interested in reading what others are
looking forward to about convention!

I can't wait!
Kerri