[nabs-l] Questions About Getting New Laptop

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 03:33:36 UTC 2011

For a JAWS user or Window Eyes user, the Mac is going to take a
little getting used to, but other than learning the new screen
reader, it functions basically as you’d expect it to.  The option to
use a virtual machine to run Windows exists on a Mac as well, and you
will find the MacBook Air in particular a joy to carry after lugging
around a larger, heavier laptop.

Most ultralight PCs are cheap netbooks and pretty sluggish.  They’ve
got going for them the size and usually also the weight, but they
sacrifice much in terms of function to do it.  The difference between
the MacBook Air and a more conventional laptop is that it’s missing
optical drive and ethernet port.  And that it weighs half as much!  I
personally can’t imagine carrying anything else anymore.

If you don’t mind the heavier laptop, all the advice about what to
look for in a good laptop (i7 being more battery efficient than i3,
etc.) applies to Macs as well.

The one thing that will take getting used to if you use Windows your
Mac (either via BootCamp or virtual machine) is the keyboard.  You
will find that the Alt and Windows keys are reversed.  The keyboard
is basically done the way Mac keyboards have been for ages—it’s just
that Apple and Microsoft happen to put the "alternative function" and
"vendor logo function" keys in opposite locations.  I’ve gotten used
to using Windows that way.  To me it’s no different from using the
Control key versus the Command key for cut/copy/paste.  I just do
what’s appropriate in the environment I’m using pretty automatically.

Joseph