[nabs-l] Election Statement: Darian Smith for 2nd Vice-President: Nabs.

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 04:48:27 UTC 2011

Greetings to all,
  My Name is Darian Smith, and I am seeking election to the office of
2nd Vice-President of The National Association of Blind Students.
A bit about me academically.  I am a student at city college of San
Francisco, completing   my general education track, and anticipating a
transfer to San Francisco State University.  Once there, (and once I
decide just what I’m ready to zero in on [Sociology, Recreation
management, or Political science]), I plan on pursuing a Masters in
Orientation and Mobility, likely from Louisiana Tech.
 A brief overview of   Related Leadership Experience.  I have Served
as a board member of the National Association of Blind Students since
my election to a one-year term in 2009, then was re-elected to a new
term in 2010.  I also currently serve as 2nd Vice- President of the
California Association of Blind Students, a position I’ve held since
my election in 2010.  On the Cabs Board, I have been working on
social/recreation projects and stepped in to assist the membership
committee with it’s Membership building efforts.
 On campus, I served as a  senator on the Associated  Student
Council, an elected body charged with  representing the over  forty
thousand students that made up our campus on issues relating to
health, equity, Retention,  and   campus life (to name a few things).
Nabs board work.   My first term on the board was spent mainly working
on rebuilding the membership committee. Working along Side Co chair
Janice Jeang, and a   committed corps of committee members, we not
only brought a consistent presence   and steady stream of information
to all of our student division list serves, but  introduced social
media, conference calls, and recording, streaming, and archiving
capabilities as the    tools  that Nabs would use to  inform, connect
and grow the membership.  As my second term   moved along, the
committee members changed, the committee co- Chair changed, but the
commitment to serving the students who supported me, and every other
person on our board never changed.     We kept  our sights  on the
task at hand, and  looking back,   We came up with some great calls
(Training  Centers, Dating and Relationships, Guide dog Vs Cane,
S.T.E.M.,  Scholarships, philosophy, and quite a bit more), not to
mention the Student  Hospitality night.  All of these activities and
opportunities we were proud  to  offer to  our fellow students, while
providing  chances for  at-large membership to be involved in the
process of planning and carrying out the projects.
Some of the projects that I took part in included:
1. Coordinating   Volunteer, sign-ups for nabs   events and activities
at both the 2010, and 2011 conventions (you can still sign up for
something this year – we appreciate the help you all are to the
operation of our convention activities!).
2. Worked with Sean on the constitutional amendment that brought about
the staggered five-four split (to take effect in 2012).
3. Assisted Arielle in contacting presenters for youth slam panel at
Washington seminar.
4.  Encouraged the collaborative involvement of   National Parent
Division and National Student Division which resulted in   nabs board
 presenting at up coming NOPBC events.
5. Served as South West Regional Advisor, working with three different
student divisions in region, and working to build new division in
region.
6. Implemented regional conference calls that, for a time, took place monthly.
7.  developed  relationship between nabs and  three  nfb training
centers, as well as assisted in   collaboration  efforts between Nabs
and  the  National Center to outreach to scholarship winners, college
leadership program, and other untapped resources.
8. Proposed the formation of an outreach committee, that would work to
collect names and addresses of   blindness agencies, rehab centers,
blindness professionals, and schools for the blind of each state in
order to more widely disseminate information to more blind students.
9. Assisted in the development of a high school committee, operating
as a sub committee of membership committee.
10 submitted  AmeriCorps experience piece to student slate in spring of 2010.

 Through all of these things, the betterment of the National
Association of Blind Students has been, and continues to be my chief
goal.  I want every student to feel connected to each other as a
large, yet close and supportive group.  I want to make sure that our
State Student divisions are as connected to nabs, as the state
affiliates are to the national body of our organization.   I want us
to continue to be inclusive of, and work with the parents division,
and work to create partnerships with affiliates, divisions, and our
national center.    I want to expand and improve our membership
building efforts, and solidify our fundraising efforts as best I know
how. I want to be a part of strengthening the leaders in all of us,
yet nurture the student in us as well.  I want to be a resource to
parents, a mentor to younger students, an ally to state student
divisions, and a go-to person for our National operation at the
national center.
 I want to do these things, and I will do these things.  Not just
because it’s trendy to say, that people think it would be nice to do,
but because I believe that it should be done.   I want to  make sure
that  we as nabs board members, and student  division presidents are
accountable  for doing what we say we ought  to do, that as  leaders
we realize that we are in these positions of leadership because  the
leadership trusts us, and we absolutely owe them  the best work as
leaders we can give.  And finally, to show  those who  look for us to
be  the next generation of leaders, that we are  going to exceed the
highest expectation, and  bring the  National Federation  of The Blind
to a level that  our dreams have yet to imagine.
   Please know that in everything I do, the organization, the
division, and the membership is my focus, and I will continue to work
for and support you.
I hope, that you believe in me and will support/vote for me On July 4,
at the National Association of Blind Students business meeting.
 While there is much more work to be done before than, I wish you all
the best couple of weeks and safe journeys.
  Best wishes to the membership and fellow candidates
   Darian

--
Darian Smith

“My secret?  See it, and stay focused on it.”

— Shaquille O'Neal