[nabs-l] Proxy Voting

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:41:57 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I just spoke with Joanne Wilson, director of affiliate action for the
National Federation of the Blind and a former NFB national board
member. She informed me that any provision in NFB's national
constitution prohibiting proxy voting would also apply to the NFB's
chapters, affiliates, and divisions including NABS. I found the
following clause in the NFB's national constitution:
ARTICLE V. POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE CONVENTION, THE BOARD OF
DIRECTORS, AND THE PRESIDENT

            Section A. Powers and Duties of the Convention. The
Convention is the supreme authority of the Federation. It is the
legislature of the Federation. As such, it has final authority with
respect to all issues of policy. Its decisions shall be made after
opportunity has been afforded for full and fair discussion. Delegates
and members in attendance may participate in all Convention
discussions as a matter of right. Any member of the Federation may
make or second motions, propose nominations, and serve on committees;
and is eligible for election to office, except that only blind members
may be elected to the National Board. Voting and making motions by
proxy are prohibited. Consistent with the democratic character of the
Federation, Convention meetings shall be so conducted as to prevent
parliamentary maneuvers which would have the effect of interfering
with the expression of the will of the majority on any question, or
with the rights of the minority to full and fair presentation of their
views. The Convention is not merely a gathering of representatives of
separate state organizations. It is a meeting of the Federation at the
national level in its character as a national organization. Committees
of the Federation are committees of the national organization. The
nominating committee shall consist of one member from each state
affiliate represented at the Convention, and each state affiliate
shall appoint its member to the committee. From among the members of
the committee, the President shall appoint a chairperson.

Later on in the constitution, there is also a sentence stating that
proxy voting is prohibited in NFB's affiliates and chapters.
Based on the above, I believe our hands are tied regarding the
amendment proposed. If you feel strongly that NFB's policy regarding
proxy voting should be modified, I would encourage you to discuss this
with your affiliate president, with an NFB national board member, or
with President Maurer directly.
That said, I do appreciate the on-list discussion. It is good to spend
some time considering the reasons behind our policies and bylaws.
Best regards,
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association  of Blind Students