[nabs-l] Learning Daily Living Skills

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 20:54:56 UTC 2011

Homberto,
  First off, there's no need to feel ashamed or guilty.  You obviously
want to learn, focus on that.  We've all been there...or, at least, a
lot of us have.  And even though you can't go to a center, that
doesn't mean you can't learn the skills you want and need to learn.
  So, how do you go about learning daily living skills if you can't go
to a center?  The good thing about lots of the skills you want to
learn is there are lots of good ways to do them-there's no "only right
way" to get to the store, sweep/vacuum, do dishes, etc.  There are
different alternative techniques lots of different blind and sighted
people use, so don't be afraid to ask questions of as many people as
you can.  If you know a successful blind person, maybe ask them if
they can spend an hour or two teaching you some stuff, every little
bit helps.  Don't be embarrassed to ask questions that might make you
look stupid.  I didn't know how to shave appropriately so I looked
nice until I asked some people, both blind and sighted, how it was
supposed to be done.  Some of those questions can be awkward, but if
you need to know how to do stuff sometimes asking's the only way to
find out.
  And another thing.  Try and find a way to do things that's easy for
you.  If your mom teaches you how to vacuum and a blind friend teaches
you how to vacuum, it's perfectly ok to take ideas from both of them
and make a way that works for you.  I figured out that I can kneel
down on the floor and feel where my vacuum's about to go when I'm
cleaning, just to make sure I'm not about to vacuum up something I
shouldn't.  It maybe looks silly...but hey, it works!  And I figured
it out on my own.  So it's ok to get creative and find a way that
works for you, as long as it really gets the job done.  Have as many
people teach you as you can, practice what they show you, and then if
you find a method that works for you, combining the things you learn
from different people, go for it!  Experiment, experiment some more,
and keep experimenting.  Make sure you have someone honest to tell you
if what you're doing is good enough-if it's not, keep trying and
you'll get it!
  One other thing.  Don't you dare compare yourself to other blind
people and say "hey!  he's blind and he's doing a lot better than me!
What's my problem?"  Odds are that blind person's put a lot of work
into figuring out which alternative techniques work for him/her.  It
takes effort but, I promise you, it can be done.  Don't be discouraged
because you aren't there yet.
  One final thought.  Sometimes, the real world is the best teacher.
I probably learned more about living on my own after I moved to my
dorm than I did from all my daily living instructors combined.  When
you're in a situation where you have to figure things out, lots of
times it motivates you to actually find a way to cook that meal or
wash those clothes.  That's not to say you shouldn't get the basic
daily living skills you need before you move out.  But, if you're
willing to work like hell, you can learn a lot in the real world too.
  Hope that helps,
Kirt